27 March 2007

Oops, I Did it Again

I'm giving the afghan a break. I've made some progress...but the colors are very "fall"...and it was in the high 70's today. I was in the mood for SPRING! So after running some errands and cleaning up around the house, I hit the "craft room".

First, it's not a craft room. It's the "needs to be redone" dining room. But when it was just Geo and I here we ate at the kitchen counter and took our time refinishing and remaking the other parts of the house. It was actually rather nice to have one big empty room for guests to sit or mingle in during our picnics. Anyway, now that I reside alone I've moved the sewing machine and crafting things into that room and have dubbed it the "craft room"....until the baby comes along. This is what the disaster area looks like after tonight:
So, I'm kind of feeling a little like Brittany Spears.."Oops, I did it again." I have a list of projects that I'd like to accomplish. They're all in a logical order based on target dates for completion....but I was overwhelmed by the urge to do something Springy. So....I made this quilt top. No pattern, nothing in mind, no quilting experience in my life....just saw some quilts on line that I loved and started dreaming.

Minimal measuring. Just sewing straight lines. Just look at those colors! I love warm weather!

There is a small mistake in the middle of the quilt that I need to fix...but I wanted to show it off. If you're saying to yourself "Gee, those look like awfully long blocks." You're right. They're actually 8.5 x 11. I don't have a square quilt-block-cutting-tool-thingy...so I used some cardboard from the back of a tablet as a guide :)

I have some additions to make. I'm thinking about doing some hand embroidery in the white spaces. Maybe adding some buttons or trinkets. OoOhhh...I love this!

1 comment:

Katie said...

I'm soooo jealous. Not only for the warm weather you're enjoying, but for the lucky recipient (baby i'm thinking?) that will stay cozy under your quilt. Embroidered designs will be great.... I'm already thinking of all of the places you can go with your designs! oh, and of course, I'm jealous that this was how you spent your day. I'm going to do a little bit of knitting and hope my envy subsides.